HOW WE GOT STARTED:
During the Marcus Garvey birthday weekend of 2017 (August 19th-20th), the New Afrikan Independence Party convened its annual conference. In response to the conference theme for the 2017 New Afrikan/Black Unity & Solidarity Conference (NABUS), a group of people decided to move forward and actually develop and organize a campaign to address the issues of Reparations and the need for Black Self-Determination.
Our mission is to obtain Reparations and Self-Determination for all Black people within the United States of America.
1. We want Reparations for the pain, suffering, enslavement and economic exploitation of Blacks during the periods of Slavery, State-sponsored Terrorism and Jim Crow.
2. We demand the release of all Political Prisoners who in response to Jim Crow, white-supremacy and state violence engaged in organized resistance and were profiled, targeted and incarcerated.
3. We demand the release of those Political Prisoners who are/were subject to additional harm, including prolonged solitary confinement and torture for political resistance during their incarceration. All must be released.
4. We also seek redress, amnesty and restitution regarding the so-called 'War on Drugs' and its continued impact on our families, neighborhoods and communities, for example: mass incarceration.
5. We want Self-Determination or the power to determine our own destiny as a distinct group of people living within the United States.
6. The United States of America continues to promote and implement policies and practices which render severe harm and oppression to Black people collectively throughout this country (USA).
7. Therefore, we are demanding the power to determine what type of future political, economic and social relationship, if any, we (Blacks, African-Americans, New Afrikans, etc.) are to have with these United States of America (USA).
8. We are making the above stated demands on the United States of America: it's various municipalities (federal government, states, counties, cities, etc.) and all businesses, educational institutions, foundations and individuals who are direct and/or identifiable beneficiaries from the horrific enslavement, exploitation, suppression and oppression of Black people within the United States of America.
"for our ancestors, children, grandchildren..,"
Your generous donation will help to pay for the
cost of surveys, printing and community outreach. We need your help to make 'Reparations and Black Self-Determination' a reality in our lifetime.
The following is a general update regarding responses to the National Survey. We hope to provide updates on a monthly or quarterly basis. We need funds in order to continue its distribution ($37.00 per month).
JOIN THE CAMPAIGN AND MAKE A DONATION: campaign4reparationsandselfdetermination.wordpress.com
Please take the survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RQ2MXR2)
1. There were 128 Respondents from the following states who took the survey:
District of Columbia (D.C.)
2. eighty-one (81%) of those surveyed had parents and/or grandparents who were born in the southern U.S.
3. (83%) of those surveyed see Blacks as a distinct group within the U.S.
4. (93%) think the movement for Black freedom and justice needs to be headed in a different direction.
5. (91%) support proportional representation.
6. (95%) support reparations.
7. (66%) support a comprehensive reparations package to include land, cash, free health care, free tuition, etc.
8. Within the above reparations group, (42%) favor land: (40%) favor cash.
9. (67%) support the creation of an independent Black nation, based in the southern U.S.